As a female starting out with training, I was scared that if I went to the gym more then 2-3 times a week, I would bulk up & lose my feminine features. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Diving straight into the gym and training consistently has positively impacted my life in more ways than one. By achieving a healthy and fit figure I was able to boost my physical wellbeing, while subsequently improving my mental health through the empowering feat of taking control over my body and its appearance.
I have decided to share with you, my top picks for active gym classes that enhance your feminine curves & create a toned / lean muscular body. These are the classes that I participate in at Virgin Active Gym that won’t ‘bulk you up’ but will help clear your mind and improve mental wellbeing!
Yin Yoga – this class is absolutely amazing for fast tracking your way to flexibility. I have never been able to pull off the splits, but it is something I have always admired since watching the ‘Bring It On’ Movie when I was younger. There are lots of different styles of yoga to participate in, but Yin Yoga is quite different as it is very slow-paced and requires poses/stretches to be held for long periods of time. These can range from 45 seconds to two minutes; even longer for experienced participants.
Barre – For those who were never quite co-ordinated enough for ballet, this class gives you another shot & has you feeling like a dancer when you leave. Barre is a class that incorporates deep muscle toning & cardio with a blend of Pilates, ballet & yoga. They tend to play really fun music, which creates an uplifting, positive atmosphere during the class. You can attend different types of Barre classes, each one helping to achieve different results whether it be sculpting your bum, abs or legs. A great class for if you want to target a certain muscle group and feel the burn!
Pilates Reformer – I always choose this class in the morning, as I’m always half asleep at this time and get to lay down on a reformer machine throughout the session. By the end of the class, you’ll be feeling awake, trained & clear headed. The class consists of resistance training using mostly your own body weight. You’ll be amazed by how challenging a workout using just your body weight can be. If you are familiar with pilates, then this won’t seem too foreign, as the same 7 foundations are still offered in this class. I always see great results from this class in the leg & arm area.
These would be my top 3 picks of classes to participate in that help achieve a lean/toned figure and clear state of mind.
I also want to stress the importance of feeding your body the right nutrients to ensure that you get the most out of your workouts. Remember, 30% of your body transformation is from the gym while the other 70% is from the kitchen, so choose wisely what you put in your body. The importance of diet only became apparent to me once I started eating Muscle Meals Direct. I noticed a steady acceleration in my results through being able to customise and plan my meals based on their individual macro nutritional contents.